UJ Arts & Culture, a division of the Faculty of Art, Design & Architecture (FADA), produces and presents world-class student and professional arts programmes aligned to the UJ vision of an international university, anchored in Africa, dynamically shaping the future. A robust range of arts platforms are offered on all four UJ campuses for students, staff, alumni, and the general public, to experience and engage with emerging and established Pan-African and international artists drawn from the full spectrum of the arts.
UJ Arts & Culture seeks to appoint a Curator who will be responsible for driving the strategic vision of the UJ Art Gallery and the Moving Cube online platform by actively curating exhibitions and projects that are relevant to current debates in visual arts and culture and that might relate directly to aspects of theoretical undergraduate courses as well as conferences, live performances, panel discussions, op-ed pieces and scholarly articles. The Curator will collaborate with and programme highly skilled and experienced local and international curators and artists and will be responsible for maintaining and developing local and international partnerships and sponsorships. Additionally, the Curator is responsible for the management of the UJ Art Gallery facility, equipment and the UJ Art Collection.
• Drive UJ Art Gallery strategy as developed in collaboration with the FADA Exhibitions Advisory Committee;
• Design, plan and implement an annual programme in collaboration with the FADA Exhibitions Advisory Committee;
• Manage, maintain and develop relationships with local and international curators and artists;
• Manage, maintain and develop local and international partnerships and sponsorships;
• Facility and equipment management for the UJ Art Gallery;
• Line management of permanent and temporary gallery staff;
• Collaborate with the division’s marketing team regarding PR, publicity and marketing;
• Liaise with the division’s technical team regarding physical and virtual events;
• Liaise with the University’s legal department regarding a range of matters;
• Liaise with Protection Services regarding events and/or security;
• Collaborate with the Head of division and Financial Manager regarding budgeting
• Master’s degree in relevant field/s
• Track record of relevant experience
• Financial literacy and experience
• Computer literacy and experience
• People management experience
Competencies and Behavioural Attributes:
• Creativity and innovation
• Project management skills
• Systematic detail-oriented and organised
• Problem-solving skills
• Interpersonal skills
• Energetic and goal-oriented
The ideal candidate will have a strong local and international network, have a proven track record demonstrating the ability to design, plan and implement innovative and dynamic programmes and nurture a space that allows for cutting edge, provocative and stimulating cultural exchange. The individual will be actively engaged with contemporary local and international visual art, and current theoretical debates.
Enquiries regarding remuneration and benefits: Ms Helen Chemaly (011) 559-4555 (HR Business Partner)
LOGIN AND APPLY HERE – https://jobs.uj.ac.za/applicant/index.php?controller=Adverts&method=view&advertid=b544fc31-1df1-47e7-a2a7-3877237a0cc1&fbclid=IwAR1AB2vOkcYfMCuHI-lzutwf_iLCk9M6f8qarcwtYNmq0LMIeRX0VHjtZ1Y
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to email@example.com
If you require technical support/assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.
About the University of Johannesburg
The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on attaining global excellence and stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Vice-Chancellor’s vision of “Positioning UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa”.