The Centre for Film and Media Studies (CFMS) in the Faculty of Humanities wishes to appoint a suitable candidate to help develop the Centre’s teaching, production and research in digital and mobile media studies, as soon as possible.
- A relevant Master’s level qualification is a minimum requirement, while a PhD or significant progress to a PhD would be desirable.
- Experience in teaching digital, social media, multimedia and/or journalistic production skills at undergraduate level.
- Ability to teach across both practical and theoretical dimensions of our programmes.
- Evidence of creative, practical and/or research engagement.
- Supervision of creative and research projects.
- Industry experience in digital, multimedia, journalism and/or social media production.
- A record of creative practice in the field of digital media.
- The ability to develop the Centre’s digital and mobile media curriculum and convene academic and creative courses in this area.
- Active research interests in areas such as digital and social media studies, data journalism, internet studies, virtual reality, gaming, ethics and regulation of social media – as evidenced by conference attendance and/or publications and/or creative output.
- Research and teaching interest in African feminisms.
The successful candidate would:
- Be responsible for supporting web and multimedia production across production streams.
- Lecture on digital and social media in the Media and/or Film majors.
- Convene production and academic courses.
- Supervise student projects and dissertations.
- Contribute to research outputs in the Centre.
The 2021 annual cost of employment at Lecturer Level, including benefits, is R765 575
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Mr Ian Petersen at email@example.com
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- Cover letter, and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application that does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo a competency test.
Telephone: 021 650 2163 Website: www.hr.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E210364 Closing date: 12 November 2021
UCT is a designated employer and is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity, and redress in achieving its equity targets in accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets. Preference will be given to candidates from the under-represented Designated Groups. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.